The African penguin, also known as the Black-footed penguin is a species of penguin, confined to southern African waters. How do they communicate?
- They make donkey-like braying sounds to communicate.
- They chirp and are the only species of penguin that can sing.
- By clapping their flippers together in a series much like Morse Code.
- They communicate by standing back-to-back, through which they can pick up body rumbles resonated from within.
Set during an African nation’s Civil War in 1991–2002, this Hollywood film depicts a country torn apart by the struggle between government loyalists and insurgent forces.
- Casablanca, starring Humphrey Bogart
- Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, starring Idris Elba
- Hotel Rwanda, starring Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo
- Blood Diamond, starring Leonardo Dicaprio and Djimon Hounsou
The ‘white ghosts’ of Etosha can be observed frequenting the Nebrownii waterhole, in Namibia – often brilliantly offset against the bright blue sky. What are they?
- Great white storks
- White elephants
- Hunter-warriors of a local tribe
- Albino lions
Elephants are the largest land animals on Earth. The largest elephant on record was an adult male African elephant. It weighed about 24,000 pounds and was 13 feet tall at the shoulder!
What are elephants afraid of?
There are nine species of the baobab tree – six from Madagascar, two from Africa and one from Australia. Many baobabs live to a ripe old age – with one recently collapsed Namibian tree known as “Grootboom” thought to be 1,275 years old. Conversely, what are the biggest enemies to this mighty tree of Africa?
- Electricity Lines
The Nile crocodile has a fearsome reputation and according to scientists, is more dangerous than its North American counterpart. It can take down everything from hippos to humans. The biggest Nile crocodiles can be longer than;
- a giraffe is tall – 20 feet
- a stretch limousine i.e. the US President’s Cadillac One – 18 feet
- a standard hot air balloon is long – 75 feet
- an African Humpback whale – 42 feet
This lake formerly contained Africa’s largest population of Nile crocodiles: 14,000, as estimated in a 1968 study by Alistair Graham.
- Lake Rukwa, Tanzania
- Lake Kariba, Zambia
- Lake Kivu, Rwanda
- Lake Turkana, Kenya
Mancala is believed to be the oldest game in the world and is played in as many countries on the continent as there is variations of it. How does it work? First you need a mancala board, with holes arranged in either two or four rows. Small stones or seeds were used in earlier days; today, using marbles is common.
What does the name ‘mancala‘ mean?
The Nubian Desert (Arabic: صحراء النوبة, Şaḩrā’ an Nūbyah) is in the eastern region of the Sahara Desert. On October 7, 2008 the sky became so bright, people hundreds of miles away reported seeing the flash. What caused this phenomenon?
- Fireworks from a nearby festival.
- A solar flare.
- A meteorite explosion.
- A rare desert lights phenomenon akin to the Aurora Borealis (northern lights/polar lights) of the Arctic region.
New Zealand, Brazil, and South Africa are nations that all boast viable vineyards and a culture of grapevine farming. What other region in African is up and coming?
- Roma, Lesotho
- Dodoma, Tanzania
- São Domingos, Guinea-Bissau
- Lomé, Togo