The countryside ruins at Djemila, Tipaza and Timgad are some of the most fascinating attractions to view in Algeria. From which empire are the ruins from?
- a grand mosque from the Ottoman Empire
- remnants of Roman ruins
- an ancient Persian city
- colonial homes from British colonization
The largest waterfall in the world, Victoria Falls, is located on the Zambezi River. The noise of can be heard from a distance of 40 kilometers. Mosi-O-Tunya is the name given to the falls by the local tribe. What does the name mean?
1. the smoke that thunders
2. the waters that cry loudly
3. the river that weeps uncontrolled
4. the place where the earth disappears
Kinshasa and Brazzaville in the next-door Republic of Congo are the closest capital cities in the world, with the exception of which European cities?
1. Berlin and Prague
2. Paris and Amsterdam
3. The Vatican City and Rome
4. London and Brussels
Tsavorite is a green (garnet) gemstone that was discovered in 1967, by British gem prospector and geologist Campbell R. Bridges. It is named in honor of the Tsavo East National Park in Kenya. Who proposed the name?
1. Sir Henry Platt, Tiffany and Co. President
2. Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom
3. Mzee Jomo Kenyatta, Kenya’s 1st President
4. Donald Trump, Business Magnate & 54 President of the United States
Tsavo is a region of Kenya located at the crossing of the Uganda Railway over the Tsavo River, close to where it meets the Athi River.
What does Tsavo mean?
3. “in the path of lions”
Mlilwane, Swaziland’s pioneer conservation area, is a beautiful, secluded sanctuary situated in Swaziland’s Valley of Heaven, the Ezulwini Valley. What does the Mlilwane mean?
- “paradise” in isiZulu.
- “leopard” the predominant danger in the area.
- “big mountain” in reference to the nearby granite mountain range.
- “little fire” in SiSwati.
Kimberlite is an igneous rock which sometimes contains diamonds. It is named after the town of Kimberley in South Africa, where the discovery of an 83.5-carat (16.70 g) diamond in 1869 spawned a diamond rush. What was this diamond called?
- Eureka Diamond
- Rosetta Stone
- Star of South Africa
- Kimberly Stone
Etosha National Park in Namibia has had overwhelming success in preserving the black rhino and although figures are not disclosed, the park is home to a healthy population. Poachers hunt them for their horns, which have the same make-up as which chemical element?
1. Keratin, a protein found in fingernail clippings
2. Dentine, one of the physical structures of teeth and tusks
3. Kimberlite, an igneous rock which sometimes contains diamond
4. Amber, fossilized tree resin
The truly aquatic kingfishers are represented in Southern and East Africa by the tiny Malachite Kingfisher. The bird drops suddenly into the water to grab its prey, and then returns to its perch, where it swallows the struggling creature head-first. What is the top flight speed of this small bird?
4. 40 km/h
African buffaloes are known to kill more hunters in Africa than any other wildlife animal. Many stories are told about how they ambush hunters that have wounded them during hunting expeditions. Why then did early trophy hunters consider them among the big 5?
1. they were considered as rare.
2. they were prized for their horns and hoofs, used for medicinal purposes in Europe.
3. their hide was highly sought after as a trophy item.
4. they were considered to be one of the most dangerous species to hunt.