African buffaloes are known to kill more hunters in Africa than any other wildlife animal. Many stories are told about how they ambush hunters that have wounded them during hunting expeditions. Why then did early trophy hunters consider them among the big 5?
1. they were considered as rare.
2. they were prized for their horns and hoofs, used for medicinal purposes in Europe.
3. their hide was highly sought after as a trophy item.
4. they were considered to be one of the most dangerous species to hunt.
4. They were considered to be one of the most dangerous species to hunt.
When hunted by humans, buffalo have a reputation for circling back on their pursuers and counter attacking.