This famous author is quoted as once having said; “You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first, and then heaven, and that heaven was copied after Mauritius.”
1. Mark Twain, The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn
2. Alan Paton, Ah, But Your Land Is Beautiful
3. C.S. Lewis, The Voyage Of The Dawn-Treder
4. Charles Dickens, A Message From The Sea
Ghana was the first country in Africa to claim its independence, in 1957, from British colonial rule. And the name ‘Ghana’ means ‘warrior king’ but what does it’s capital ‘Accra’ mean?
- Ants for the numerous ant hills across the land.
- Gold derived from an Ashanti word describing the precious metal for which the gold coast was known for.
- Fabric from the Ashanti word for the indigenous Ankara cloth.
- Strength derived from a medieval Portuguese word.
Benin is named after the body of water on which it lies – the ‘Bight of Benin’. What are it’s people called?
Over the years, 10 individuals from Africa have been honoured for their effort. She was the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize;
- Nadine Gordimer – South Africa
- Ellen Sirleaf Johnson – Liberia
- Leymah Gbowee – Liberia
- Wangari Maathai – Kenya
Nollywood, is the second largest film industry in the world in terms of output, producing hundreds of films each year. Approximately many films does the Nigerian film industry churn out?
The oil and diamond-rich country is currently rebuilding at full swing after suffering from civil war for 27 years since independence from Portugal in 1975.
- Sierra Leone
- Ivory Coast
To much of Africa, the annual blooming of this tree is as iconic as the Cherry Blossoms in Japan, the Fall Foliage in Northeast America, or the Sunflower Fields of Tuscany, Italy. Which tree is this?
Which is the longest river in the world?
- The Amazon River of South America
- The Nile River of Africa
- The Yangtze River of Asia
- The Volga River of Europe